Common indoor household plants that are toxic to your dog or cat:

Household Indoor Toxic Plants

Did you know some of the plants in your home could be toxic to your pets?

I can’t tell you how many homes I’ve been to for private sessions where my students have multiple plants that are highly toxic to their dog or cat easily accessible. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t blame them, they obviously didn’t know. Second, I have some of these plants in my home as well! So in no way am I telling you to get rid of them. This article is intended for educational purposes and so that you can better puppy proof your home!

Most common plants toxic to dogs and cats

Aloe Vera Plant Toxic to Dogs, Cats, Pets

Common Name: Aloe Vera
Scientific Name: Aloe Vera
Toxicity: Dogs / Cats
About: Aloe can have a positive impact in your pets life due when used externally. However, when it comes to the plant itself, if your dog or cat ingest it, it is toxic. Effects include increase in fluid in your pets stomach, bowel movements, vomiting, diarrhea and/or change in urine color.⠀

Common Name(s): English Ivy, California Ivy, Sweetheart Ivy, Branching Ivy, Glacier Ivy, Needlepoint Ivy)
Scientific Name: Hedera Helix
Toxicity: Multiple pets (Dogs / Cats / Horses)
About: Can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, hyper-salivation, diarrhea, coma, muscular weakness, etc. It is said that the foliage is more toxic to your pet than berries!

Corn Plant Toxic to dogs and cats

Common Name(s): Corn Plant
Scientific Name: Dracaena Fragrans ‘Massangeana’
Toxicity: Dogs & Cats
About: Corn plant if ingested by pets can cause excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle weakness, depression, and lack of coordination. It can also cause dilated pupils (More commonly in cats)

Sago Palm (Cycas Revoluta)

Common Name(s): Sago Palm
Scientific Name: Cycas revoluta
Toxicity: Pets (dogs, cats, horses, etc) & humans (kids)
About: Sago plants are considered toxic to animals and humans. Unlike other plants where only certain parts of the plant are toxic, with the sago plant, every single part can have a negative effect on you and your pets. The most toxic part to your dog / cat is the plants seeds/nuts. Ingesting even a SINGLE seed can be deadly to your pet. Obviously size of your dog and amount ingested will play a factor, but please don’t take the risk.

Philodendron toxicity to pets

Common Name(s): Philodendron
Scientific Name: Philodendron
Toxicity: Dogs / Cats / Humans
About: Philodendron’s are considered toxic to both your pets (dogs / cats) and humans. Any amount of consumption is said to cause severe irritation in your pets mouth. Your dog / cat will experience a burning sensation which may cause them to start pawing at their face or mouth, drooling, foaming, and/or coughing. If your pet ingests a large amount of Philodendron it could cause severe respiratory and digestive issues. Philodendron’s can also be fatal depending on the size of your pet and how much is ingested.

Disclaimer

I am not, and do not claim to be, a veterinarian. Please reach out to your vet or the pet poison hotline if your dog has gotten into anything and you have questions or concerns. 

Contact us today!

As always, do not hesitate to text, call, or E-Mail if you have any questions, would like more information, or would like to set up training for your service dog work.

Leave a Comment

Call Now ButtonCALL / TEXT NOW
%d bloggers like this: